Tutorial: Lucidchart

I had no idea where to start for my tutorial — I had originally planned on doing something with Fusion360 and 3D modeling, but then decided I wanted to actually try venturing outside of tools we’ve already used. I navigated through the Wayback Machine and found an online tool called Lucidchart, which allows scholars, students, professionals, and just anyone who has a need for it, to create diagrams and other visualizations using the tools provided, their own existing media, and different kinds of data sets. I have found in my short experience using it that it could be very useful for another wishing to create pamphlets or other small, informative devices, and that it functions similarly to designer apps I know better like Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. Here is a little tutorial on how to access the app and use some of its basic features.

STEP 1

After finding the Lucidchart tool accessible on the Wayback Machine, you are prompted to sign in using an email and create a free account to use the tool. I signed in with Google and it looked like this:

A screenshot of the email sign-in page Wayback prompts you with when trying to open Lucidcharts
Lucid’s page on Wayback, prompting email sign-in

Choose the free option on the left. It only allowed limited features, but that’s ok because we’re just exploring this tool for now. There were more options though if you have clearer needs in mind:

A screenshot of the page users are directed to to choose which plan they want to continue with.
Lucid’s subscription selection page

After specifying your role on the following page (I am a student) and answering a resulting question about your level of education, you’re officially brought to the Lucid web app (https://lucid.app/documents#/dashboard) giving you lots of options to get started. I was even upgraded to an EDU Free plan for students, but I chose to not choose any of the selections the window provided and hit “Start diagramming” instead. A blank workspace is created to start with.

A screenshot of the Lucidcharts homepage and welcome message to me
Lucid homepage and welcome message
Screenshot of a blank workspace in Lucid
Blank workspace in Lucid

STEP 2

There are 3 “panels” to work in: shapes, containers, and data. I’m more of a visual user, so I chose to move forward in the shapes panel, but you could use all three for a variety of functions. In the shapes panel, you can add and manipulate standard shapes, flowcharts, special shapes, and more. I started with a flowchart shape called “Paper Tape” which I think looks a little like a banner, so I changed its size, line width, line color, and fill color using the tools at the top of the workspace.

A screenshot of my workspace with the "Paper Tape" shape added and colored
“Paper Tape” shape added and colored

I also thought the “Paper Tape” label was a little off, so I made a title of my own:

A screenshot of when I changed the "Paper Tape" text to "Cool Banner" and changed the font and size too
Changing text within the shape

STEP 3

The workspace feels a lot like your typical user interface, with lots of options to choose from in menu dropdowns at the top. By clicking on insert > image, you can import images from your device into your workspace. You can also import GIFs, PDFs, and lots of other elements.

A screenshot of the "Insert" dropdown menu and the selections it allows
“Insert” dropdown menu with options

An experienced and frequent user of Lucidcharts might want to create a diagram or presentation for kids, in which case the use of images would be a necessity. In my case, I had no driving need for it so I just imported a photo I took of a bench in the arb a few years back.

A screenshot of an imported image added to the workspace under the Paper Tape banner
Addition of an image to the workspace

STEP 4

I think the coolest function of the tool is the one I actually didn’t experiment much with. The app offers users the ability to import data sets and visualize them in the workspace. The program reads Excel files, Google Sheets, TXTs, CSVs, SQLs, TSVs, BambooHR files, Salesforce files, and much more. A user wishing to import their data to visualize would be directed to this window upon clicking the “Import Data” button:

A screenshot of the window that is opened when a user clicks "Import Data" - there are lots of visualization options and data types to choose from
“Import Data” window

Having no data I wished to visualize in the moment, I did not use this feature. I instead added another shape: a shape called “Or” with 4 quadrants, and I used it to create an overhead of what the 4 corner states landmark probably looks like.

A screenshot of my final workspace with the addition of a 4-quadrant "Or" shape and labels for each quadrant creating the 4 Corners USA
Addition of an “Or” shape and labels for 4 Corners USA

STEP 5

Finally, once you’ve created whatever insightful and impressive diagram you had in mind, or if you’ve made something rather crude like I did, it’s time to export it. Under file > export, there are a number of options to choose from depending on what kind of data you’re displaying and where you might want to open the file you’re creating after exporting it. I chose PDF, because that’s all I needed. I chose “Crop to content” to cut out some white space and downloaded my “diagram.”

A screenshot of the export options within the "File" dropdown
“File” dropdown and “Export” tab options
A screenshot of the formatting page when you choose to export your workspace as a PDF
PDF formatting page

TWO LINKS

1. Lucid has a whole site full of training and edicational tools, as well as help and getting started pages and FAQs. Here is the Get started guide.
  2. You can also integrate something called “Streamline” with Lucid (instructions at this site), which seems like it allows you to use more tools and import more kinds of media and illustrations. Definitely could be useful for someone wishing to use this app further.

4 thoughts on “Tutorial: Lucidchart

1. Though I did not use Lucidchart for this course, it is a really helpful tool. I used it to make mind maps for Maths concepts. The operations are pretty straightforward and clear and helps me understand the concepts well. Your tutorial shows all steps clearly!

2. This is cool! It seems like a really useful tool for more freedom when visualizing data; having the option to import data and make charts, and combine those with the more illustrator-esque options makes it very versatile. The workspace almost reminds me of Fusion360, too. I’m curious about the “streamline” tool you mentioned, too.

3. This is a really great tutorial! The thoughtful and thorough descriptions really add to the reading experience. LucidChart seems to be an incredibly robust tool and this is an excellent tutorial for it. I’m looking forward to playing around with the website once I have some more time on my hands!

4. Wow this is a fantastic tutorial! Informative, extremely easy to follow, and insightful! I really appreciate the time you put into this as LucidChart seems like a great tool for importing and visualizing data sets. This makes me really want to try it out and test its limits. Amazing work!